How to rebuild trust in marriage:
How to rebuild trust in marriage Although rebuilding trust in marriage is not easy, trust can be rebuilt after it has been broken. It will take time, and sometimes even years to regain trust in marriage.
Below are some tips to help you regain, restore, or rebuild trust in your marriage:
1. Ask your spouse what you can do to earn their trust.
2. Promise yourself and each other that you will be truthful and honest even if it hurts.
3. Share your secrets and thoughts especially the pains and struggles you go through every day.
4. Learn to fight fair in a healthy way.
5. Stop lying; it will only make things worse.
6. Be aware of the damages caused, accept your wrong doings and be responsible.
7. Keep your promises.
8. Listen and pay attention to your spouse.
9. Take the blame game away.
10. Give your spouse an opportunity to earn your trust.
11. Trust in marriage is mutual; it takes two to make it happen.
12. Be yourself and be real.
13. Be open to counseling or seeing a marriage coach if need be.
14. Forgive your spouse.
15. Develop a plan of action and execute it.
16. It will take time and patience.
17. Show your spouse you love and appreciate them.
18. Set boundaries in your marriage to prevent a repeat of the same issues that caused trust to be broken.
If you are looking for more ways to rebuild trust in marriage, try reading marriage books such as Healing Your Marriage When Trust Is Broken by Cindy Beall to help you with your trust issues, as well as Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud. After getting married, the two become one; your spouse has the best intentions for you. Therefore your trust for each other must be nurtured and protected continually. It’s very hard to rebuild trust in marriage, therefore respect the trust your spouse has for you, and never take it for granted.
“A marriage without trust is like a car without gas, you can stay in it as long as you want but it won’t go anywhere.” Unknown